The ACLU of the District of Columbia (ACLU-DC), with more than 14,000 local members, fights to protect and expand civil liberties and civil rights for people who live in, work in, and visit D.C. We are a local affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), a nationwide nonprofit, non-partisan, membership organization devoted to ensuring free speech, equal rights and other civil liberties. The ACLU-DC pursues its mission through legal action, legislative advocacy, organizing, and public education.
This intern position is primarily to support the Organizing Department and will report directly to the on-staff Campaign Organizer. The issues our organizers work on include criminal legal reform, youth justice and economic justice. Responsibilities will include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Support organizing trainings (storytelling, research meetings, issue slicing, etc) to build community and skills across issues and campaigns.
- Support campaigns such as Crisis Response, Community Oversight Surveillance-DC, Police Accountability, and Courtwatch DC.
- Conduct research on issue campaigns and targets for outreach.
- Assist with coalition meetings & ACLU-DC events.
- Assist in outreach and education efforts, including helping draft outreach materials tied to ACLU-DC issue campaigns and educational efforts, helping identify targets for outreach, and assisting Campaign Organizer and Community Engagement Associate.
- Working with our organizers on the legislative process and support digital organizing efforts for DC Council Budget.
- An effective verbal and written communicator
- A passion for building community power
- Detail-oriented, proactive, ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Technical computer skills, especially in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel
- Comfortable working alone on assignments and in collaboration with others
- Applicants should be based in DC and be able to attend select in person events
- Ability to commit to 30-35 hours a week from June 20, 2023 - August 17, 2023
At this time, we are only accepting applicants that live in the District of Columbia or in surrounding states (i.e. MD, VA).
Please submit cover letter and resume by May 29, 2023.