The American Civil Liberties Union of the District of Columbia (ACLU-DC) seeks an intuitive and thoughtful helper, extraordinarily motivated, capable and detail-oriented, who handles a range of administrative responsibilities.
ACLU-DC is a nonprofit and nonpartisan organization that defends and protects those civil rights and liberties guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution, the Bill of Rights and the nation's and the District’s civil rights laws. ACLU-DC is the “state” affiliate of the national ACLU, which for nearly 100 years has served as the nation's premier guardian of the liberties that define our democracy. Together with the national ACLU, ACLU-DC works to advance civil liberties by employing litigation, public policy advocacy, public education, organizing, communications and social media to protect and promote a broad range of individual rights, including freedom of speech, racial justice, privacy, religious liberty, reproductive rights, LGBT rights, immigrant rights and rights for people with disabilities. The organization often works with broad coalitions locally and nationally.
The DC affiliate, with its main office on McPherson Square, currently has a $2.4 million operating budget and 12 staff positions. ACLU-DC is two separate non-profit organizations: the ACLU of the District of Columbia, a 501(c)(4) non-profit corporation that primarily engages in lobbying and advocacy, and the ACLU of the District of Columbia Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation that primarily engages in litigation and public education.
The Executive Assistant (EA) is a confidential, intuitive and thoughtful helper, extraordinarily motivated, capable and detail-oriented, who handles a range of administrative responsibilities. The EA exemplifies poise under pressure and is able to manage stressful situations with ease while treating everyone with dignity and respect.
The position requires a thoughtful helper and leader who takes pride in ensuring that the Executive Director has the essential support needed each day, and who is comfortable in the role of a valued assistant and administrative liaison.
The Executive Assistant will report to the Executive Director and assist the ED with the day-to-day management of her calendar, daily schedule and travel. The position is located in the ACLU-DC’s main office.
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide outstanding administrative support to the Executive Director and executive office and serve as the primary point of contact.
- Manage Executive Director’s calendar and schedule, keeping her well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, coordinating logistics for external activities and preparing presentations and reports for meetings and special events.
- Systematically track correspondence and the status of requests and responses.
- Prioritize conflicting needs, handle matters proactively and expeditiously, effectively manage deadlines and follow through on projects.
- Manage filing, archiving, expense reports and reimbursements.
- Serve as a liaison and provide administrative support for the Board of Directors, including maintenance of committee rosters, meeting schedules, minute books, preparing meeting materials and taking and disseminating board minutes.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Strong belief in the ACLU’s work and mission, and in preserving and defending the civil rights and individual liberties guaranteed by the US Constitution and laws.
- Substantial administrative experience in a fast-paced nonprofit, with a track record of deftly managing competing priorities and strong organizational, communication, prioritization and planning skills.
- Experience managing travel, calendar and a range of logistics for busy executives.
- Outstanding client and customer service skills.
- Highly proficient MS Office skills.
- Verbal, written and interpersonal savvy, with superior judgment at all times.
- Deadline-driven and personally accountable.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Reliable, discreet, and with reputation for maintaining confidentiality
- The ability to thrive through consistent change
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Strong self-motivation; proactive; ability to meet tight deadlines; adaptability; attention to detail.
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse communities and people.
- Flexibility and willingness to learn new tools, technology, and resources.
Disclaimer: Nothing in this job description restricts the Executive Director's right to assign other duties or responsibilities to this job at any time.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary based on market factors and individual experience and abilities. The current range is $62,000-$72,000. Excellent benefits include paid time off, generous paid holidays, medical and dental insurance (with 100% of the premiums paid by ACLU-DC), 401k plan, life insurance, income replacement during illness through a combination of annual family and medical leave, short term disability and long-term disability insurance.
Send an application packet that includes a letter of interest, resume, brief writing sample, and three professional references to https://smrtr.io/4yZvT. Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this job opportunity. No phone calls, please.
Application materials will be reviewed as received and will be accepted until the position is filled. To ensure full consideration, applicants are strongly encouraged to apply by November 19.
The ACLU of the District of Columbia is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of the District of Columbia encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status